Welcome to thebackpacker.com
create account login
Fire is cool!
Viewing posts 1 to 29 of 29 messages posted.
To add this thread as a favorites, you need to first login.
Maybe this should be fuego?
“I got bored and curious tonight. The guy I made a pepsi stove for asked what would happen if you used white gas instead of alcohol.
I put a little alcohol in me tonight, and decided it was a perfect time to sacrifice an old pepsi stove in the name of scientific experiment. Photos here.
I was surprised that the stove...well you'll just have to look and see!
“Didn't anyone ever tell you not to play with matches!”
“Yah, that's why I used one of those long lighter thingies!”
“yeah yeah yeah/....saw the same thing when (as a kid) my Scoutmaster tried to fill his Zippo with white fuel....but I think we are ALL ASKING (since this is a GEAR THREAD)
What was the boil time for a liter of water?”
“now we know what to use when a campsite has been picked clean of all it's fire wood”
“Put a pot on it to block the flame and confine the gases and I bet it goes BOOM.”
“ST...you ever cook with C-4? Burns great, but don't TAKE AWAY the Oxygen...let it burn out.
Then here is the French Artillery training...with fire
“Yer lucky you didn't lose your eyebrows.”
“Good gravy! Bitpusher has discovered the backcountry microwave! LOL! Thanks for taking one for the team dude!”
“The,' micro wave 'would be the slight hand gester given as you turn and run.”
“Yep, rip a hunk off and set it on fire...
used to tell newbies to just stomp on it to put it out...but never let them do it....”
“LOL...ST, we had a Lt (Hudson High grad) who was cooking his Cs on the c4 fire when someone yelled to PUT OUT ALL LIGHTS (agressor patrol coming in close) the idiot dropped a box over it to kill it off.....”
Now THAT's light discipline....
“a bit lax on the Noise Discipline however....”
Please don't try this at home!
We are trained professionals!!!!! ;-)”
“Um...stove...we were drunk if I have to be honest. LOL when the box went BOOM we were all hugging the ground and a newbie asked me "What the hell was that."
My reply, "Just GOD letting us know he has a sense of humor."
The aggressors thought it was an artillery simulator and shyed away from us.”
“You missed the ;-) didn't you?”
“Crash Bang told me about putting W G in his stove while doing the AT. The first thing I asked was why he did not smell the W G before lighting it. I bet he was the hit of the shelter for the night.”
“I did not attempt to boil a cup of water with the white gas version. Heck I was afraid it would incinerate the stove, I wasn't about to risk my pot!
I did have a fire extinguisher handy.”
“LMFAO!!! WG is TOO much fun! We used to do all kinds of stupid shtuf with it back in high school. It's a wonder we only ended up in the ER once...
Ever seen it boil? Pretty wild.
Ya get a dog-n-suds 1 liter glass bottle, and put about 2-3 inches of WGin then put the heavy plastic top back on really tight. Lay that baby on a really hot fire for about 20 minutes. The gas boils for a good while, then eventually the cap blows, and the fire is so hot the glass shatters. Whoof!!!! That'll warm the camp up even in January! LOL! BTW, please dont try this. Looking back, it was incredibly stupid. Flying glass, and flaming liquid is not a good combination. Besides if my buddies dad the fire cheif had known what we were doing he would have kicked all our butts!”
“Milwaukee Man Sues Makers of Brut After Cologne Ignites on Camping Trip
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
MILWAUKEE — An 81-year-old Milwaukee man has sued the makers of Brut cologne after it ignited and burned parts of his hands, chest and neck.
Charles B. Lewitzke's case was filed in the U.S. District Court in Wisconsin's Eastern District this week. He is seeking unspecified damages from Helen of Troy Ltd., an El Paso, Texas company that owns and markets Brut, and Unilever Home & Personal Care USA, of New Jersey, a division of Conopco Inc., which had previously owned the product.
He also is suing Wal-Mart Stores East, LP, which is where he bought two Brut products, a lotion and deodorant spray.
A message left for Lewitzke's attorney was not immediately returned Wednesday. Christopher Meadows, a lawyer representing the defendants, said they were still investigating the claims and he would make no comment.
According to court filings, Lewitzke was burned while camping with family members on Memorial Day in 2004 in Wisconsin Dells, a popular resort area outside of Madison.
He washed and shaved in a bathhouse on the camp grounds and applied Brut lotion to his face, neck and chest with his hands. He also used the aerosol deodorant. He then went to a fire pit to cook breakfast.
His face, neck and chest ignited while he was starting the cooking fire, his lawsuit says.
Lewitzke's attorney, Michael Hanrahan, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that his client suffered burns on 30 percent of his body and underwent three skin grafts.
He claims in court documents that the Burt products and their packaging were the direct cause of Lewitzke's injuries and were defective because they were "unreasonably dangerous." The suit also says the products' labeling was unsafe because it should have warned about the danger of fires, and the manufacturers should have tried to minimize that risk.
Brut's manufacturers and companies selling the products should be held liable for Lewitzke's injuries, medical expenses, and the pain and disability he has suffered, the lawsuit argues.
"Our view is there is no warning that after you apply it, you remain flammable for some period of time," Hanrahan told the newspaper. "You aren't thinking, 'I'm still flammable."'”
“another case for the darwin awards?....i mean common sense folks...ever seen the james bond where he kills the snake with the spray deoderant”
“"You aren't thinking, 'I'm still flammable."''
Rules to live by:
1) The gun is always loaded.
2) You are always flammable.”
“3. if the enemy is in range, so are you
4. friendly fire isnt...
5. if your not sure, the claymore is pointed at you”
“Whats that phrase DUB used to have as his signature over on the darkside. Something like ....
I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people, just remove all the warning labels so the problem will take care of itself.”
“How much you wanna bet he squirted gas or lighter fluid on the fire and it flamed up in his face. Some lawyer sees a way to make a buck.”
“we just had a guy miss over half the questions on an open book test, 50 questions..no time limit too...the average missed 4 questions. the test was a basic saftey course on nuclear density gauges”
“test was a basic saftey course on nuclear density gauges
and he missed HALF? FIRE HIM”
“Either someone up the road has one helluva hickory smoker going or there's a woodsfire up the way. Judging by the fire truck it might be the latter, but boy howdy does it smell GOOD! Just hope it doesn't comedown our way. It's a few hundred yards from us.”
Post a MessageIn order to post a response to this thread you must first be logged in. If you do not already have an account, you must first create a new account.
Ready to Buy Gear?
Great Outdoor Sites